Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sore Quads, Pretty Flowers, Angry Snakes

I went down to Tehama County to help Alan Abbs mark the course for Saturday's "Sunsweet Tehama Wildflowers 50K" (motto: "Sunsweet Prunes will keep you running!"). And yes, kids, there are still openings in both the solo and relay divisions! Temps are expected to be in the low 60s.

Alan is fast (he came in third at Diablo; though unlike me, he's slower than his spouse) and I tried to keep up with him (and he tried to go slow enough for me) but I soon realized that I was far from recovered from last Saturday's Diablo 50M. When we were through, I was through.

While attempting to tie a flag to a rock (the trees are sparse in places) I heard a rattling noise come from about three feet away and saw a small rattler showing me his fangs before he retreated back down into his wine cellar.

I'll be sweeping the course (I only have to do half since it's an out-and-back) Saturday, so if you are really slow please enter the race so I only have to keep up with you!

Here's a pic of Alan walking through the wildflowers while he waits for yours truly to catch up:


No comments: