Saturday, August 30, 2008

Grizzly Peak Run

Refilling water bottles at Deer Creek (note the Umbrella Plants)

Ted and Mark and I ran/walked to the abandoned fire lookout at the top of Grizzly Peak today (about 20M east of Castle Crags) on the PCT, starting at Ash Camp (near McCloud Lake). The 11.5M downhill return run was a foretaste of heaven. After a steep 800' drop during the first mile down from the top we had 10+M with about 3000' of total descent at a nice gentle grade on (mostly) smooth pine-needle-covered trails. Nearly effortless running!

On top of Ol' Grizzly

Mt Shasta, and no, I don't know why the sink is filled with dirt.

You can see a bit of Shasta Lake here (looking south)

It was a little warm, and there were a lot of gnats for the first couple hours and I did nearly step on a rattler (third time this year I've made a rattlesnake very, very mad), but I quibble.

No comments: