Saturday, January 10, 2009

Scotte Hodel


I just learned that Scotte passed away last night. As I wrote to his wife, I don't think I've ever felt so sad at the passing of someone who I'd never met.


The following is a poem his daughter wrote for him at Christmas. It has a lot of "insider" references to stories that Scotte told her/ read to her when she was young, but no matter...

Daddy
By Kayla Hodel
12/26/2008

I dreamt last night that I was young
Little enough to crawl between you knees

I was so excited to find you smiling down at me.

Just to know that you thought I was
Ta Petite, Your Little Girl

[prechorus]
It's 1 am and I don't know
How much longer before I'll sleep

But Daddy, oh Daddy please


[chorus]
Tell me again 'bout how a donkey
Taught a man to honor God

Or sing to me again about
The steps it takes to follow

All my days.

And is that Roscoe in the sky
Sniffing treasures up in space?
And if you reach the end of your song,

Is there a monster there to make me laugh?


I slept too late, I grew so fast
But my Daddy, he held on tight
I loved it all - the laughs, the cries,
The "momma" look I'd practice with my eyes

When you'd tell a joke that gotten so old

No considerate person would let it be told.

But Daddy, oh Daddy please-


[chorus]

But Daddy, I love you, I love all your crazy smiles

I love you for your nose's appreciation of food
I love you for your teaching and your playful fiddlings

You've taught me more than you'll ever know.

What can I give in return?


[bridge]
Do I get my Gonzo at the end of the book?
The one who can do voices and crazy looks?

Do I get to keep you, my daddy?

A child is a gift, but I think God regifted-
Because when you got older he gave you to me.



Pray for Scotte's wife Viva and for Kayla and Adam. Their faith is strong, but how can you not miss a guy like Scotte?

2 comments:

jeff said...

Mark,
Thanks for letting me know. Scotte told me not long ago that it was you who pointed him toward my blog so I thank you for getting us acquainted.

KM Smith said...

I was hopping around on the internet looking for another poem I'd written and I came across this old entry of yours. This Saturday will be one year since my daddy said goodbye to this earth and hello to our Savior.

Thank you for all your prayers.