Monday, July 7, 2008

Yuk!

Apparently when I was a kid I was quite the racist- an anti-Italian, anti-Mexican, anti-Oriental, anti-almost everything except northern European and midwestern American:
Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.
I'm happy to say I've since been rehabilitated. Still harbor some Mediterranean (Turkish, Greek, Moroccan) bigotries, though. And I probably have some unresolved issues with my parents since today I'm not all that fond of the "cuisine" they brought me up on.

OTOH: I've always loved watermelon!

No comments: